Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Stained Glass - Art mirroring nature

Kagiso (which means "peace" in Swahili)
is one of Roberta's earliest pieces, and is my

favorite.
Our dear friend, Roberta Walbert, has taken up the art of stained glass mosaics. We just purchased two of her pieces, and have been coveting several more. When I initially looked at her art, I was reminded of the kaleidoscope art that Drew created from some of my photos of flowers and fields. I love stained glass, yet have seen so little of it in my lifetime, and then only in churches. Much of Roberta's work is of star bursts and floral patterns, often with an influence from different cultures. I am fascinated by the unfolding of the patterns as they expand from the center of each piece. And, each piece looks so different when backlit by sunlight. We still don't know where we will hang the artwork, and that will be accomplished this weekend. What we do know is that each piece is all the more special because it was created by someone whom we treasure in our lives. NOTE: I just took quick photos, which do not do the artwork justice. See better representations of them on Roberta's website!
Kantyi (means "simple" - an Australian Aboriginal design)
This photo was taken with no light behind it.
Kantyi will be hung in a window, probably in my massage room, which faces south. We are thrilled with the change in color that sunlight will have on it as the sun progresses through the day. It is gorgeous!
Kantyi was held up to the ceiling light with the upper half
of it illuminated. I can't wait to see it in the window!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Laurie. I feel so honored that you are the new owners of these pieces!