Sunday, May 6, 2018

Of Beavers and Geese

I went out onto the pond this morning. It was a bit later than I usually go, but I figured I'd still see the beaver somewhere, so I headed over to the beaver lodge first.
As I was hanging out at the lodge, the beaver came swimming by and tail slapped the water. I tried to capture video footage of him, but the camera I was using didn't have image stabilization on it (the 70-D), and the footage was too wobbly. I'll have to try again next week.
Goose tucked into the grasses of the island. Note the feathers everywhere indicating a nest.
As I was poking around the lodge, I spied a goose snoozing on an island close by. 
At first I thought that it was dead as I had been knocking all around the island during my beaver lodged investigation and I'd never seen the goose, nor had it moved.
Then, it lifted its head as if to say, "What the heck are you doing on my side of the pond?"
It got up and walked to the edge of the island, honked a bunch of times and jumped into the water. It swam away to lure me from the nest. It's mate also made an appearance.
Once the geese were satisfied that I was no longer a threat, they settled back down to take care of the eggs and do guard duty.

No comments: