Sunday, October 14, 2018

Planting Perennials

Picture from the Breck's website.
Today, I planted Astrantia in two holes in the primary stump garden (two plants in a hole on the south side and two plants in a hole on the east facing side.) I also planted two plants in a hole on the south facing side of the secondary stump garden. I am trying to extend the season of flowers for honey bees who will go bonkers for these flowers in late summer!
Picture from Breck's website.
I planted Blue Angel Hosta in front of the bird feeder tree where there is fairly deep shade, so we'll see how it does. I may have to amend the soil more than I did as it does like a rich humus soil.
Picture from the Breck's website.
Then, I planted Bowl of Beauty Peony next to the third stump garden, on the north side of the stump. I hope it gets enough light there. If not, I can always transplant it somewhere else. I also need to add an inch of soil to cover it up. The package directions said to plant it level with the ground, not under, while the website says to cover the root with 1" of soil. And, the soil might not be rich enough either. Aughhh...But, on the bee front, bald faced hornets do enjoy the peony flower buds that they will drill holes into on occasion (possibly to drink nectar.)


Picture from the Breck's website.
Lastly, I planted Spanish Pinkbells: 3 in front of the flower pot stump (old maple stump), 3 in front of the bird feeder stump, 3 on the outside edge of the bird-watching bench, 3 each on the back and north side of the tertiary stump garden, random placement of Pinkbells in around secondary stump garden, and in three places along the primary stump garden, and a few in the front edge of the sun garden.
Picture from the Breck's website
In Carla's GardenThere are also 10 Spanish Pink Bells along the front edge of the front garden. And one Kansas Peony in the front garden nearest the lilac. 

No comments: