Friday, June 18, 2021

A few birds seen on the pond this morning

Neighbor Carla accompanied me on my loon survey this morning. The loons are so comfortable being among humans (when there are no chicks present.) This one was preening. The other photos and details are on my Loon Survey # 4 post.

Besides loons we saw a couple of belted kingfishers chattering and swooping down for fish. This one perched on the branch of a fallen tree above the pond.

A mated pair of mallards were happily quacking and feeding on the pond plants.

We motored to the north cove and parked the boat near the beaver lodge. The dead larch trees in this boggy area are a favored spot for birds to perch on as they survey the pond looking for insects to munch on. This is where I always see Eastern Kingbirds. I was not able to get a good photo of the red-winged blackbirds or swallows, but they were present as well.

No comments: