Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Bluebirds of Happiness

Male Bluebird

We had a flock of Eastern Bluebirds visit our yard today. It was such a thrill!

A female bluebird checks out the suet feeder. She is probably looking for mealworms!

Here it is mid-December and the Bluebirds are still here! 

Bluebirds generally forage on the ground eating insects. But, in winter they will also eat dogwood berries, sumac, juniper berries, and much more.

I looked in my "Sibley Guide to Birds" book and saw that Bluebirds usually just spend the summer breeding season with us and migrate south afterward. But, I just looked at the publishing date on my book, and it is the year 2000. 

Here is an updated range map from eBird. Global warming has changed the migratory patterns of lots of birds, and I see that it has affected Bluebirds as well. They now live in southern Maine all year round.

No comments: