Saturday, October 14, 2023

Partial Solar Eclipse-October 14, 2023

Today was a success in viewing the partial solar eclipse. In Bowdoin, Maine we had about 16% of the sun covered by the moon and even though there were lots of clouds, the sun was able to present itself often enough for me to get photos up to the maximum coverage and beyond. Note that I used my Nikon P-1000 camera with a solar filter to take my photos. 

Here is a picture from time and date.com that shows the timing of the partial solar eclipse in Bowdoin, Maine.

And, here is my first photo of the event showing the Sun before the eclipse begins, at 12:25pm. Note the three sunspots on the surface of the sun.

The beginning of the eclipse became visible in this photo at 12:57pm. The first little nibble by the moon!

The moon is getting more bold and thinks that the sun is super tasty at 1:01:54pm. As you can see, the clouds are starting to move in, and in fact the sun played peek-a-boo for the entire event.

At 1:05:19pm, the sun was again displayed in a clear sky. The bite is expanding.

Five minutes later, at 1:10:28pm, the moon is starting to get more bold and the bite is bigger due to Cookie Monster joining in on the fun!

At 1:20:53pm the clouds parted enough for me to grab this shot and we are getting closer to the maximum.

And, finally maximum eclipse has occurred at around 1:28pm.
Here is one of my favorite photos of the Sun and clouds at 2:02:45pm. So much of the later part of the eclipse was cloud covered for large portions of time.
As we neared the end of the eclipse, the clouds gave me so many chances to snap some dramatic shots. Here is one of my favorites at 2:30:19pm. By the way, I did not rotate the photo. The moon kept moving and changing position during the partial eclipse.

Here is the sun nearly at the end of the eclipse event, at 2:35pm, before getting totally obscured by cloud cover. I couldn't get a focus lock on the Sun as it was just too cloudy at this time.

5 comments:

Gary Haines said...

🤩

Beth DiGiulio said...

Fantastic! Thanks for these, I wasn't able to view the event at all. Your photo's are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Fascinating!

Anonymous said...

What great photos, I was unable to see it, feel as though I have now! Hugs, Randi

Kathy Claerr said...

You didn't mention the spots visible in your photos on the surface of the sun. We're in a high sunspot cycle, and some of the recent emanations from them have threatened communications on Earth. Very cool to catch on your photos!