Monday, June 5, 2017

"How Many Did You Catch" cartoon

I brought my students on a field trip to Thorncrag Nature Sanctuary a few weeks ago, just like I always do. Some of them I dragged, kicking and screaming (not really), to the outdoors because I feel a huge responsibility to educate kids on the importance of forests and the environment. 
So many people no longer notice the great outdoors due to their obsessive cell phone/electronics use, and this cartoon is apropos to today's state of our society. Some of my students find the outdoors boring. Gee... go figure! I wish that more people would just unplug themselves and actually look around with wonder and joy at their surroundings.

I know that I am getting old when I have yet to find much use in cell phones (I am channeling my father when he didn't see the use in an answering machine;-) But, at least I see nature, see relationships in actions and reactions, see patterns, and appreciate what our planet has to offer. I am glad that I was born when I was because I feel so much more connected to Mother Earth than most of the new generation will ever be. That saddens me. Everyone should feel connected naturally and spiritually, not electronically...

No comments: