Monday, January 1, 2018

Tiny Bubbles and a Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, everyone! I decided to celebrate the beginning of 2018 with the creation of frozen soap bubbles! Soap bubbles freeze at -11F.  Here is a link to the video I took in 2014 on the old Maine Nature Diary on Tumblr.


I went outside at 7am when the temp. was in the vicinity of -11F (our outdoor thermometer does not read properly and said it was -9.3F, but Drew figured that it was colder than that as Weather.com said it was -16F)
A few of the bubbles landed on the railing and froze in place there!
Here you see a freshly blown soap bubble starting to crystallize.
I waited for about an hour before going outdoors to continue the photography. I wanted the early morning sunlight to be shining on the bubbles, and I needed them to begin their deconstruction. It was about -5F when I started the second photo session.
Here is an amazing crystal goblet!
This crystal bowl is more ornate than the finest blown glass! Note:This was the triple bubble you saw in photo # 1. 
P.S. The next time I think I'll try to take video of the bubbles deconstructing over several hours' time.

No comments: