Thursday, December 26, 2019

Frozen Soap Bubbles and Crystal Formation


Created and photographed on Jan. 1, 2018
'Tis the season of frozen soap bubbles! Let's see if we can make some nature art!

I have only blown soap bubbles at -11F down to -16F. But Sheila (below) likes the outdoor temp. to be a bit warmer, and I think I'll try her process this year. If I can prop up my bubble surface, it will be easier to photograph as well...
Here is a link to some soap bubbles that I photographed on Jan. 1, 2018!

Note to self: Try taking video of the crystallization process this year. Here is a quote from Sheila's Maine (Facebook) on her process:


It's quite fun and very beautiful to see the crystals come to life. They form fairly fast (the colder the temps the quicker they form). Sometimes they become large and feathered and other times hundreds of small crystals immediately form. 
If you would like to try this experiment you need some seriously cold temps (the absolute best seems to be around 10 degrees - give or take a few degrees - and no wind. I've done them in below 0 weather, but it goes pretty quick for photographing. If it's warmer it takes longer and you run the risk of even a slight breeze popping the bubble.) The recipe is 1/4 C Dawn dish soap, 3/4 C water, 2 Tablespoons clear corn syrup (Karo). The solution needs to be cold so I keep it in an airtight container in the fridge. You want to take it directly from the fridge to the outside so the solution is cool like the outside. You need a surface that is bowl like to put the bubble on -- an upside down soda can works. I have a small clear base from a lens-ball that I use. Some people use upside down wine glass bases etc. You can play around with other surfaces as well. You will also need a straw to blow your bubble with. My bubbles are rather small -- maybe 2 inches in diameter, but you can go bigger, of course. I like to go smaller so if there is even a tiny breeze I have a better chance at keeping it going. 

No comments: