Sunday, February 23, 2020

Earthquake in Sabattus

Sabattus, Maine and surrounding areas experienced a mild 2.2 magnitude earthquake. Some people theorized that the cause of the quake may have been from the ice age rebound that Maine is still going through from when the ice sheet covered Maine 12,000 years ago. I know that UMaine Machias students have been doing long-term studies on this rebound as Maine was depressed by so much ice and is "bouncing back" over time. Check out this great pdf of Earthquakes in Maine by the Maine Geologic Survey.
 We did not feel it here in Bowdoin. But, I queried my team teachers and students about their experience with it and they responded: "I thought my boiler had blown up", "I thought a large tree had fallen down", "I felt a rumble", "First, it sounded like a train rumbling through, then later an aftershock shook the house again."

No comments: