Sunday, April 26, 2020

Ruffed Grouse drumming

My photo of a Ruffed Grouse back in July, 2001, while vacationing up in Rangeley.
One of the Maine photographers that I admire, Colin Chase, went up north and caught some great footage of a Ruffed Grouse drumming. Ruffed Grouse males "drum" to attract females. The low frequency sound can be heard up to 0.25 miles away. Click the link above and turn up the volume!

He set up a Browning Recon Force Edge camera to capture the video (I'm thinking that I want this camera;-). Here is what Colin said about the grouse:
I was up "north" Friday and listened all night to the drumming of a Ruffed Grouse. In the morning I found his log and set up a camera while he was out feeding. What fun! I love is his reactions after he drums. I also included a slow mo at the end. Enjoy, sound up and watch in 1080p60hd. West Forks, Maine.

No comments: