Sunday, January 31, 2021

Merlin visits our backyard (May 2008) (formerly misidentified)

 

I learned about another bird in our neck of the woods. I photographed, and mis-identified this bird back in 2008. I thought it was an immature Cooper's Hawk, but I learned today that it is a Merlin! Merlins are small raptors in the falcon family of birds. One identifying feature is long pointed wings when they fly. 

Here is a close-up view. There are so many physical characteristics to note when trying to identify birds, and since I am incredibly bad at I.D., I am glad to have birding acquaintances that teach me. One of my birding experts said this about the Merlin, "Note the dark eyes and slight 'mustache' - this is a Merlin!" (The mustache is below his eye.) 


Also, if you look at his beak, he must have just finished lunch when I snapped this photo! There is a bit of blood on it. These birds are very fast fliers who snatch birds and insects from the air. They are found in wide-open spaces and open woods. Our back woods had recently been logged when I saw this bird, so it is a perfect habitat for this species.

No comments: