Sunday, February 7, 2021

Smelt Fishing Camps on the Cathance River

 

I have been extremely antsy of late as we just don't travel anywhere during COVID. So, Drew mollified my angst and took me to Bowdoinham so that I could check out Jim's Camps for Winter Smelt Fishing. First, we crossed the bridge over the Cathance River. (And, yes Toby got lots of laughs as people drove by seeing him in his jammies!)

Then, we crossed the road so that I could walk down the ramp toward the river to photograph the camps. Two of them had smoke coming out the flue pipes and people were inside actively fishing. Drew pointed out the wood hauler which was so old and interesting.

We don't know how old the wood hauler is, but it looks like it is right out of the early 1900's.

What always interests me is the fact that the ice near the shore is thick and stable enough to support so many fishing shacks. The river has a pretty good current at all times, and just out from the shacks the river stays open due this current.

No comments: