Saturday, May 28, 2022

The loons are finally nesting!

Enjoy my first video of the loon nest this year. Yahoo! I can't believe it has taken so long, but the loons have finally found a prime nesting location and are sitting on what I think are two eggs! Two friends have said that they think the loons started sitting on the eggs on Tuesday, May 24th. Egg incubation is about 27 days, so stay tuned as the summer rolls on. We should be looking for the eggs to hatch around June 17th-20th.
The nest is in a great location for me to photograph from shore as I stay somewhat hidden behind some trees onshore at about 426 feet away.    
Here is the nest location out from the second dock. I wish there was an island further out to protect it, from wave action but that is not the case. If we have much water level rise, the nest will get flooded. I wish I had a sign that says, "No Wake Zone," but I don't. I am going to try to order a couple of loon info signs to put up at the public put-in.
Here is one of the loons on the nest.
Finally, here is a photo of a loon displaying his displeasure at fisherfolk who were too close in a gasoline powered fishing boat on the pond. For more information about loons, check out the Loon Preservation Committee website.

No comments: