Saturday, May 7, 2022

Bird species are arriving for summer one by one

 Birds, birds, birds! They are migrating back for summer one by one! Today, we saw three new species: Red-breasted Grosbeak, Chipping Sparrow, and Song Sparrow, all of whom I was able to photograph.

I love the splash of red that the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks bring to our neck of the woods. Click on All About Birds to hear their call.

The Chipping Sparrows are scarfing up seeds from the ground. I don't have any sound recordings, but check out their calls on All About Birds!

Another sparrow that arrived this week is the Song Sparrow. At least, I think it is a song sparrow. I am notoriously bad at identifying birds. Here is a front view showing his gorgeous striped breast. Click on All About Birds to hear their calls.

And, here is more of a side view showing you the feather patterning of the Song Sparrow. They are so pretty! They scratch the ground looking for insects.
P.S. Please tell me if this is a different bird so that I can correct the I.D. if necessary.

No comments: