Sunday, April 30, 2023

2023 Maine Big Night # 5

April 30th. Maine Big Night # 5 was one for the record book, at lease weather-wise. It was a crazy weather night with howling wind, driving rain, and fast flowing water.

We had a tough time seeing the amphibians through the rain and wind. Needless to say, I did not take any photos as I had enough trouble trying to keep my phone from getting soaked as I tabulated data from my teammates. We only spent 75 minutes ferrying amphibians across the road in the direction they were originally going. Water was running down both sides of the road and the pond was very high. We found 1 tiny Bullfrog, 1 Pickerel Frog, 15 Spring Peepers, and 1 Spotted Salamander.

If success is counted as how wet we got, then we were thoroughly soaked and highly successful! By the looks of it, I need to buy a pair of rain pants as my poncho only keeps my torso dry!

No comments: