Friday, May 12, 2023

Loons are amazing underwater swimmers

I was able to spend a few hours on the pond, and half of the time was spent communing with the mated pair of loons that has called Caesar Pond "home" for this summer season. Enjoy this video of my time with them.
I started out by scouting all the islands at the sound end of the pond, to see if any were suitable nesting sites, as that is where the loons have nested in the past. But, the islands were beaten down too much by winter and the 7.5" of rain we had in a 30 hour period last week.
I love the loons and they are so relaxed around boats before nesting season. 
The loons swam toward the south end and spent a few minutes with me before heading north. I spend the next hour puttering around the perimeter of the pond and eventually made it to the north cove. By that time, the loons had gone back to the middle and south portions of the pond.
I parked myself in my favorite spot, near the beaver lodge, to eat my breakfast. Eventually, the loons joined me and proceeded to dive and swim all around my location. The water is shallow there and I was able to watch them zip around underwater right next to my boat. They are incredibly fast swimmers and I often could not keep up visually with where they were. I was enthralled by these magnificent birds. Soon, I will be buying an underwater Go Pro knock off camera to try to get some better footage from underwater!

No comments: