Monday, July 27, 2015

Wet and cool temps lead to fresh scents

Lately, our outdoor temps have been cool...in the 60's during the day and 50's during the night. It drizzled most of yesterday, and I took a short walk down our much neglected, woodsy path into the back woods. I was overwhelmed with the heady scent of pine, specifically that of Eastern hemlock. The woods directly behind our house are filled with beech, maple, and hemlock trees. The hemlocks prefer moist, cool sites, and we have a lot of drainage from the road, so their roots are damp all the time. Then, as I headed back to the house, I passed our big, overgrown raspberry patch. It has lots of berries and also yielded a sweet berry scent as I passed by, and I realized that it is now time to pick some big, juicy red berries. Ahhh...Maine...I love this place!