Saturday, November 18, 2017

Flying Squirrel sighting

This afternoon, Drew was on the roof cleaning out the gutters. While he was on the back side of the roof, he was afforded a direct view into the hairy woodpecker hole, in the ash tree next to the back porch. To his surprise, he found himself in a staring contest with a pair of large eyes that belonged to a small squirrel (between the size of a red squirrel and a chipmunk.) The squirrel vacated the hole and scampered to the opposite side of the tree trunk where Drew lost sight of it. The only squirrel that we know of with large eyes is the northern flying squirrel! I know that they must be around as I saw one about 16 years ago, but I can never catch sight of them as they are nocturnal. Yahoooo! Now, I really want a trail camera to capture their activity;-) Gotta start saving my pennies!

No comments: