Friday, June 1, 2018

Painted Turtle lays eggs

As soon as I got home from school, I hightailed it outside to give my gardens some lovin'. As I was wandering around, pulling weeds and chattering away to my plants, I almost stepped on a female painted turtle who was laying her eggs in the driveway.
I ran inside to get the video camera in hopes of capturing egg drop. By the time I returned, she had finished laying eggs and was filling in the nest hole. I was bummed, but videotaped this process anyway!
When she was done, she started walking toward the road. I put on some leather gloves, picked her up and transported her over to the pond. I do this as we live on a busy road and way too many female turtles have bit the dust while trying to cross back over to the pond. She scooted into the water lickety split. 

Hatching will occur in about 65 to 72 days  (August 5 - August 12.)

No comments: