Sunday, May 12, 2019

Happy Mother's Day to my mother and to Mama Nature!



I dedicate this post to my Mom, who gave me the gift of life and the love of nature. I must say that it is quite the bird day today, and I think the birds are all celebrating Mother's Day along with me! 

Drew alerted me to a bird that was the size of a robin, yet wasn't a robin! I was fortunate to be able to grab the camera and shoot some very shaky video of this male singing his heart out to attract his mate! Do you know that this bird is? I had to do a good bit of looking in my Sibley Guide to Birds find that it is an Eastern Towhee! Yay! One more bird for my life list (well, at least the list that exists in my head as I don't actually keep one on paper;-) Listen to its call that sounds like "Drink your tea." (One of my brilliant students informed me of the Towhee's call even before I started the video;-)

Also in the video are ruby throated hummingbirds (male and female), Baltimore Orioles (male and female), a female goldfinch, a hairy woodpecker, a grackle, and a female yellow-rumped warbler.

Hey, Mom...I hope you are spotting lots of birds at your birdbath today!

Happy Mom's Day!

Love, Laurie

No comments: