Saturday, October 5, 2019

Hix Small Cemetery Road walk

We took another short walk on Hix Small Cemetery Road today. This time, I was able to go 0.54 mile where I proudly made it to my destination of the "T"! The trail is rocky, uneven, and can be difficult to safely navigate. I took it slow, and had to zig-zag back and forth across the trail as it was on a downslope most of the way back to the car. This minimized the amount of pressure on my 12 week old new knee!
Drew found some White Baneberry along the side of the trail. Watch out! All parts of this plant are poisonous.
We found a wooly bear caterpillar at the cemetery. These caterpillars have glycerol, a natural antifreeze, in their bodies so that they can overwinter successfully in our climate, thaw out in springtime, whereupon they spin their cocoon. They eventually metamorphose into a pretty Isabella Tiger Moth
The sugar maples were starting to change color. This one had lots of mysterious white stuff on the leaves. But, the branch was too high up for me to examine.

No comments: