Thursday, May 7, 2020

"The Wood Shed" a poem by Mary Oliver

"For weeks, the center of the Universe is the woodshed, which I keep filling,
which I keep emptying and filling, working every morning.
in the light-soaked yard among the heaps of pink oak, yellow birch, red pine.
Sometimes, I rest a little.
Then, I gaze out from the yard into the world, or I gaze into myself.
But mostly I give attention to what I am doing...
cutting, chopping, stacking. I have a good time.
This is how it is, year after year... everything put by, nothing kept,
everything used up.
And that, as much as anything, is the wonder of it, I say philosophically...
how it all gathers and vanishes,
how it all goes up into smoke."

2 comments:

Winnie-The Pooh said...

This is wonderful Laurie and such great photos . Always a delight to see your posts! :)

Nancy Glassman said...

Beautiful poem. Mary Oliver is great. And love the photos.