Tuesday, July 20, 2021

How I photograph the loons from shore (and behind a far island)

I spend most of my loon survey time photographing the 2nd nest from Dale's dock, which is about 330 feet from the nest. Because I use a Nikon P-1000, which gives me a 3,000mm digital zoom, I can be far from the nest and invisible to the loons.

Here is a map to show how far the nest is from where I stand.

Here is a view through the camera from a boulder in the vacinity of Dale's dock. In this case, I was shooting video!

Here is a shot from our dock that is about 488 feet away, because we are a bit further down the shore. Not bad!

And, lastly, here is a photo taken from the boat while I am wedged behind an island just off from Dale's dock. I am about 286 feet away. With a long lens, you can still get great photos and not disturb wildlife.

No comments: