Monday, July 5, 2021

Caesar Pond Paddle

As I was doing my loon survey, I looked to my right and saw this gorgeous spiny caterpillar on some grasses of a little island.

So as not to disturb the loon any longer, I decided to paddle toward the north end of the pond. I always like scanning the western shore as there is always something of interest to see. There are a multitude of rotten stumps supporting ferns and other plants with their nutrients. I am a fan of stump gardens!

Unfortunately, I happened upon two dead tree swallow chicks. One was in the water and one was on the bank as you see. I fished the one out of the water and put it next to its sibling.

Then, about 15 feet further down the western shore, I found a tree swallow chick perched on a twig at the water's surface. It gave a little chirp as I "rescued" it, but died about 10 minutes later. I can only assume that the chicks all either fell off a branch high up above the pond, or were all kicked out of the nest for some reason.

But, a bit further down the shore I saw two cedar waxwings flitting about catching insects on the fly. They would briefly perch on branches before continuing their hunt for breakfast. Birth, life, and death happen continually. Sadness and joy are intermingled during each day on Earth.

No comments: