Saturday, July 10, 2021

Caesar Pond Paddle

 

As always, I puttered around Caesar Pond after hanging out with the loons. I immediately made my way to the north end and parked myself in front of the beaver lodge. This is my favorite location on the pond. 

As I sat there, I saw lots of tree swallows, and I cheered them on as they captured so many flying insects. Look at this bird's profile. Isn't it just lovely! I love how the wings are settled down and the tail is up. Ready for takeoff at any moment!

The belted kingfishers were very active this morning, and I was lucky to see one settle on top of one of the dead larch trees on the island next to the beaver lodge. He was chattering away!

I paddled to the farthest part of the north boggy area and settled myself in somewhat near the outflow area. There were masses of gorgeous pickerel weed in a natural "water garden" . They attract all kinds of flies, wasps, and bumblebees.

A flock of 6 Cedar Waxwings flew onto a tiny tree about 15 feet in front of my boat. They tend to fly together as they nab insects in the air above the pond.

They always give me a chuckle as they look like masked bandits! All told, I spent 3.5 hours of absolute joy on the pond. The weather was so perfect that it was difficult to tear myself away. Nature is so wondrous and exciting.

No comments: