Sunday, September 5, 2021

Canada Goose tragedy on Caesar Pond

Sadness this weekend. Drew and Toby walked to the public put-in for Caesar Pond and found a pile of dead and decomposing Canada Geese just inside the road entrance to the pond. When I looked at them, I figured there had to be between 8-10 geese being scavenged upon by crows and other organisms. I didn't take a photo because it was too gross. I am assuming they were shot. The bag limit is 10 geese, so on the surface it looks like someone did a lot of target practice and had no use for the geese. I am just thankful the individual didn't kill the loons. They are safe. I think all the geese on the pond are now dead. Hunting season for the geese is from Sept. 1 until Sept. 25. I am hoping that a few more geese will fly in and stay put for a few weeks without getting shot. I love their call and find it relaxing to have them paddling around on the pond.

No comments: