Monday, May 4, 2015

A few spring flowers

Spanish Bluebells
 Gardening is my passion, as is photography. When I combine them together, I experience so much joy. This afternoon, I wandered around the yard for about an hour photographing some of my spring blooms. I find that they can brighten my spirits better than just about anything. Here are a few of my favorites, and there will be many more to come as the season unfolds... 

I planted some Spanish Bluebells last October, and they were among the first flowers to bloom this spring. I am especially enamored with the anthers (blue tips of the stamen.)

Bloodroot
Another early bloomer is the bloodroot. This is one of my favorite flowers and it is naturalizing throughout my gardens. I have beautiful groupings of bloodroot scattered hither and yon.
Trillium
And then, there is the trillium. I couldn't be more pleased with this native beauty. I originally had one white trillium and one red trillium plant. The white variety did not survive, but the red one is growing by leaps and bounds each year. I have it planted under some white pine trees, and it obviously thrives in acidic conditions.