Thursday, May 7, 2015

Lungwort (Pulmonaria)

I dedicate this beautiful plant to my loving sister.






















I have many plants that were introduced to North America from other parts of the world. One of my favorite, most colorful, small flowering plants is Lungwort, or Pumonaria. This shade loving plant is native to Europe and western Asia. Its flowers are predominantly blue with a few pink blossoms sprinkled throughout. I get an incredible amount of joy seeing this plant throughout three of my gardens.

Many moons ago, herbalists thought that the leaves reminded them of a lung, hence the name. I have a few choice words for the leaves of this plant as their hairs cause me intense pain from contact dermatitis. I must always remember to wear garden gloves when working with them.