Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Aurora and planets

Regulus is in the upper left, Jupiter is in the center,
and Venus is the brightest object of the bunch!
Here is the best of what I was able to shoot early last night. In the photo, from left to right, you see Regulus, Jupiter, and Venus, as well as a bit of green glow from the aurora. By the way, Regulus is the brightest star in the constellation, Leo. It is known as the heart of the lion. (You'll have to click on the photo to see any detail as I didn't leave Drew much to work with in post-processing.)

We think that there may be a problem with the Canon camera's sensor. It is noisy as heck, there are horizontal lines ("Yes, I took off the haze filter"), and there are lots of dead pixels to boot. But, luckily this doesn't show up in my daytime photos. I am patiently waiting for the Canon 70D camera body to drop in price, down to $950, (and Drew has an Amazon.com price-watch on it) but it just jumped up $50. Ugh...more waiting...very pricey. "But, I want it." says the princess.