Friday, June 5, 2015

Of birds and bees...

I took a little walk around the yard on the lookout for wasp nests. Our buddy, Billy, got stung on Wednesday, spent an evening and a day in the ICU, and arrived home on Thursday afternoon. Scary stuff.

We are trying to eradicate any darned nests we have around the property, so that he can come to visit and not worry too much about a repeat experience.

The only nests I have found, thus far, are on the ceiling of the wood shed. Two have a good start, while a third just has a few cells.


On another note, I have seen two mourning doves flying into the magnoia tree on a couple of occasions this week. I took a walk around the tree and found a nest.

As you can see, it is just above my head height on the south facing side of the tree.

It is a very loosely woven nest, and not very attractive at all. I looked online and saw that it would probably have a very shallow cup in which the eggs will sit.

It also has some white material around the back side of the nest, which I have not identified yet. I didn't want to spend too much time poking around in there. I don't think any eggs have hatched yet as I didn't hear an peeping of chicks. (Click on any photo for a larger view.)