Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Severe Geomagnetic Storm in Progress

There is a severe geomagnetic storm in progress, and aurora activity is high. I went outside as darkness fell and stayed out until 11pm. Then, I came inside to process photos, and went out once again until 12:15 am. (Click on the photos for larger views, and to read the fine print from spaceweather.com on June 22nd.)

  I did not see any aurora borealis display, although I know it had to be occurring as evidenced by other people's submissions on spaceweather.com.


Frustrating, to say the least. But, then again, I am awful at nighttime photography, and this attempt was no better. It is 12:40 am, and I am going to let Drew try to process a few of my photos when he gets up in a few hours.
I think I may have captured a bit of green aurora, but the photos I tried to process were incredibly noisy. We'll see...