Monday, April 22, 2019

Just a few birds

Red-bellied woodpecker
I have a Sibley Guide to Birds book published in 2000. I think I need me an updated copy! 
Red-bellied woodpecker
It shows that Red-bellied woodpeckers are rare in Maine, when, in fact, we see them at our suet feeder all the time now that global warming as warmed up our state! I think these are Drew's favorite woodpeckers.
I think that Canada Geese are my favorite pond-dwelling birds. 
I always know that spring has sprung when I hear the geese honking as they come in for a landing after ice-out has occurred. We have quite a few geese on the pond at the moment.
Common Merganser male and female
We also have some ducks, none of whom I have gotten a close look at yet. These mergansers were swimming near the north end of the pond. I had a difficult time capturing a photo of them (hand-held) at such a far distance, at my maximum camera zoom. But, at least you can tell the species;-) I came home from the pond just before the sky started spitting rain.

No comments: