Saturday, June 6, 2020

Garden flower update

Our flower gardens are changing weekly. Perennials come and perennials go, usually over a two week cycle. Here is the main stump garden's west side (along the road.) It now has Petunias (annuals) in the stump and in front of the stump. There are Lupines, Chives,  Dame's Rocket in full bloom. The Peony buds are starting to mature.
Here is a look at the north facing side of the main stump garden, which is a bit shadier.. Just to let you know, the Dame's Rocket (which the butterflies love) was dug up from the garden soon after this photo was taken. It is a troublesome invasive plant and it is taking over so much of this garden. I dug it up before it went to seed so it won't reproduce elsewhere.
And, here is the south facing side of the main stump garden. The violets have all gone to seed. And, the Spanish Pink Bells have gone by as well. 
I have a 6th Pink Bell, just on the outside of the triangular stump garden, that is in more shade and just came into full bloom.)
I love chives, both to eat and to admire. I have one clump in this garden and one that has "magically" appeared in the garden in front of the deck.
And, then there are the Lupine. They weren't doing very well in a different stump garden, so I moved them to the south facing side of this one. They are thriving!
The Peony buds are getting larger each week as well. Peony flowers are just fabulous in their size and color and I am excitedly awaiting opening day!
Oh, me oh my oh... the poppy buds are forming. I love the texture of the plant and the bud scales, and the flower developing within is stunning in its papery thinness.
I mentioned that the Dame's Rocket has been pulled up. Sigh...but not before I captured a photo of this beautiful Eastern Tiger Swallowtail supping some nectar!
Near the secondary stump garden on the north side of the driveway, is the sweet smelling Lilac. It is gorgeous this year, but is almost a month late in blooming due to the cold springtime weather.
The azaleas are going by, and they were spectacular this year. There are white and light pink columbine sprinkled all along this north side of the yard as well.
I get so excited to see the blue flag irises bloom. They are just starting to open.  And, I like how they are native to the pond environment. I see them in the water along the shoreline.
Lastly, the high bush blueberry plants are flowering! Yay for blueberries! The flowers are so delicate. I love their downward facing nature. There are wild blueberry plants flowering over at the pond as well.
Here are the fertilized ovaries, some with the pistil still attached! Num, num, num...I can almost taste them in my memory, although this bush seems to grow somewhat tart blueberries. We rarely get any to eat as the birds gobble them up before the blueberries reach the ripeness that I prefer.

No comments: