Saturday, June 13, 2020

Common Yellowthroat Warbler male

Today, I was sitting on my birding bench enjoying the great outdoors, when I heard an unfamiliar bird song in the underbrush nearby. As I scanned it, I saw a black masked bird hopping about. To my surprise, it was a male Common Yellowthroat Warbler. Click here to listen to their various calls on All About Birds.org
These birds hang around the underbrush, often near bodies of water. So, It makes sense that we would see them here. But, this is my first time spying a male in the 20 years we've lived here. I saw a female fly under the wood pile pallets about a month ago.
They are such pretty birds, but you have to look low to find them. I also saw the male poking around in the leaf matter on the ground. They generally eat insects and spiders.

No comments: